What is Servlet ?
- Servlet is Java technology based web component, managed by web container, that generates dynamic content.
- It is platform-independent component.
- Java classes that are compiled to platform-neutral byte code that can be loaded into and run by java technology enabled web server.
- Containers, sometime called servlet engines, are Web Server extensions that provide servlet functionality.
- Servlet interact with web client via request/response paradigm implemented by the servlet container.
What is a Servlet Container ?
- Servlet container is part of Web Server or Application Server that provides network services over which request/response are sent.
- Decodes MIME based requests.
- Formats MIME based responses.
- A Servlet Container also contain and manages servlet through their lifecycle.
- A servlet container can be built into Web server or installed as an add-on component to web server via that Server's native extension API
- SC can also be built into or possible installed into web based application server.
- All SC must support HTTP as a protocol for request and response.
- Also addition request/response based protocol such as HTTPS can be supported.
- The require version of the HTTP specification that container must implement HTTP 1.0 and HTTP 1.1.